Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ikkii (Ikkiirnaqtuq)

Early morning ice fog... Yellowknife

The digital temperature reading outside the YK Centre on our main street is a hot photo spot this time of year. The Japenese tourists love to get their pic taken when the temperature drops!  We've just been through a ten day period where the temperature sat in the -30 to -40 C range which is pretty normal for this time of year... but less common than it used to be. We've been spoiled the last three or four years. I don't think we hit -40 once last year.

 In my mind, it seems the first winter I spent in YK the -40 temperature and ice fog hung around for almost a full two months.. January and February and that was normal... I discovered that at -45C my spit, if the arc was right, would freeze and bounce when it hit the sidewalk, wow! Just call me 'old-timer'. 'Why I remember back in the old days...'

Other than just endure, there is not a lot that you can enjoy about -40...   at -20 to -24 I stop cycling,
 -30 to -34 is my limit for skiing (feels like you are skiing on sand) ... I have run at -40 but that is probably just silly and I don't do that anymore... so just like molecules in molecular theory the colder it gets the less I move. Like our old cat Sam, I prefer to curl up close to the fire.

I suppose I could go for a swim... and a sit in the steam room!!

3 comments:

  1. hi deario - nice to talk to you this morning. or afternoon if you're me which you are clearly not! I'm going to tweet this so let's see what that brings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrrrrrrr! That looks cccccccold. Hope you're not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not... I actually enjoy the cold... once in a while! If it stayed around -40 for any length of time I'd be frustrated about not being able to ski.

    ReplyDelete