Wednesday, February 2, 2011

10 days till Birkie!

Trusty sled dog Atiq 
Warmer this morning... -12C !!  Called the office and let them know I would not be in. Waxed skiis... loaded skis, dogs and sled in vehicle and headed off to Vee Lake and the start of the Mockford trail. It's an old prospectors trail and not heavily used by ski-doos which is nice and I can take the dogs along... not allowed on the ski club trails. The only evidence of trail use since we last skiied it was wolf track that we followed for about 10km. Lots of cross trails though... rabbits, ptarmigan, fox, squirrel and more. Only one mishap, the dogs took off after a rabbit... Atiq didn't get too far. I had to pull her and the sled out out of the bush. You can't be a sled dog and a rabbit hunter!!


I'm trying to get in some good skiing before next weeks 'birkie' (Birkebeiner Lopet).  The birkie commemorates an 800 year old Norse legend ...  a group of skiiers saved a prince from invaders by skiing over the mountains (55km) carrying the prince. The Canadian birkie circles the southern boundary of Elk Island National Park, just east of Edmonton. No mountains but it is 55km, very nice trails, rolling hills and lots of participants (>1000 I think). Normally cross country skiing is a pretty lonely venture. It's kind of nice to share the trails with a large group that are all passionate about skiing... and then there is the Viking feast at the end of the race... now where did I put my horned helmut?

The photo at the top of this blog was taken at the 2009 birkie.   

4 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your blog so much - great pics and I love knowing a bit of what your life is like. Imaging being happy it's minus 12 and snowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Jude... aiming at one post per week, not too ambitious. I'd like to get more involved in photography and hope this is one way to push me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I talked to Stella last - Wednesday eve - she said Dad was reading your blog. I sent him the info, so glad he could listen to you, too. It really is like having a conversation, all be it one sided, but I always feel connected when I read Jan's blog and now yours. Hurray!!! Very good way for Dad to connect, too.

    ReplyDelete