Sunday, January 20, 2013

HAPPY SNOW DAY!

So today is Snow Day..                                            

Not sure who proclaimed it but the radio said it so it must be true. If so this must be the only weather event that gets it's own day (except for Sun).

Likely Snow Day is a creation of northerners trying to convince themselves that they like winter. Personally I don't need it as I truly do like winter and snow( I like summer and heat, spring and rain and windy fall days as well ). I don't think I'd like to live in a climate without such marked seasons.

Unfortunately we haven't had much snow this winter... lots of cold but not much snow. It's been a hard winter on skis (lots of rocks sticking their noses out) and I even knocked a crossbar off one of the grooming machines at the ski club this week..  I hit a barely submerged tree stump! Have to get it re-welded.

I have been out skiing quite a bit but decided early on that I wouldn't do the Birkie this year. Unfortunate because they have had ideal snow conditions in Alberta (where the Birkie is) but the lack of snow and cold weather  (-34C today) have made training difficult.

None-the-less, enjoyed a nice ski out the dog team trail today with my 2 Amigos... in to a bit of a wind so I froze my cheek a little.. haven't done that since Iqaluit. We had about .5cm of new fine snow that acted just like sand so it was slow going ...  but as usual once you get past the idea that the day would be a good one for just sitting by the fire, ..  you have an enjoyable experience.  

                                                                                                                                  185

No comments:

Post a Comment